Thursday, May 3, 2012

Strawberries!


 Today was a perfect day to participate in a home school field trip to pick strawberries. On this field trip there were maybe 12 children who were all younger. It was nice to meet some Mom's that have families in the same stage as mine. We picked strawberries, had a strawberry shortcake snack and each child received a coloring book.

This must have been peak time for this patch. There were so many big, red strawberries. Aliza and Josiah filled up their quart boxes very quickly.

 I was going to buy a couple quarts to make jelly, but since we filled up the quart boxes so quickly I decided we could pick more ourselves. They only sell u-pick by the bucket (I think it holds 4 quarts) and, of course, each child needs a bucket. By the time it was said and done we picked 2 quart boxes and 2 buckets--about 10 quarts of berries!
 Anna kept herself busy. Her shirt was red when she was finished.
 When we got home Josiah and Aliza topped their box of strawberries.
 Strawberries are so pretty. They make me happy. =)
 This was my first attempt at preserving any type of food completely alone...and I was successful! Of course, jelly is super easy to do. I made 10 containers (2 batches). I feel like I accomplished something today!
 Miss Aliza adopted a caterpillar friend. She thought it was most hilarious when she first let him crawl on her. He now resides in a container with the best grass, leaves and flowers that Aliza could find. She frequently puts her finger in the container to let Mr. Caterpillar crawl on her hand. I'm not sure that he has been named, however, Aliza addresses him as "Honey" (in her most endearing tone of voice). Pretty cute.

No comments: