Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Monday, December 6

 What a day! Some days it is better not to know how the day will end when it starts. This was definitely one of those days! I decided to skip school because I thought we just needed a breather. Aliza wanted to do some last minute studying before her Driver's Learner Permit test. Her appointment was scheduled for 1:15 and we left the MVA with her permit in hand at 2:30. She was one happy gal and I was very happy for her. I could hardly wait to catch her eye when she finished the test and her smile and thumbs up...I hope I never forget! That would have been enough  emotion for one day, but it only got more intense from there.

From the MVA, Aliza and I met my Mom at the doctor's office. Something was going on with my Grandad LeRoy. I needed to be there to help Mom transfer Grandad back in to the van after his appointment. No sooner did I park and Mom texted me "They are doing a COVID test". My response was "Please be negative. Please be negative. Or we will alllll have to quarantine." Only a few minutes later Mom was out of the building. I hopped out of my car to meet her. She told me the test was positive...put a mask on.

It was truly awful getting Grandad from the wheelchair into the van. He was so weak and had lost a lot of balance and coordination in the past few days. Driving back to my parents house to pick up the other children, the weight of having been exposed to COVID began to sink in. (We are still basically living at my parents house during the day.) My concern quickly moved to whether work could continue on our house with us having been exposed and needing to self quarantine. After talking to Brian and Jeremy and some tears, we decided it would just be best to move to my parents house for the week. The house is moving along and I just couldn't imagine stopping progress.

We ate supper together and then packed up for the week. The children and I got back to my parents and the first thing we did was drag two mattresses upstairs and set up beds. Jeremy arrived soon after with his entire desk including his chair. He worked from his in-laws guest room for the week. The girls were so relieved that their Daddy was with us. (One of the options was that Jeremy would sleep at home and leave before the workers arrived.)


Thankfully Mom and Dad's house is such that we could basically live separately from them to minimize our contact. The week continued to be very emotional. The very short version is that Grandad was admitted to the hospital on Thursday with COVID pneumonia. It has been hard to think of him in the hospital alone.

Josiah also tested positive. He has been really tired and lost smell and taste. After a week now, it seems like he is a bit better each day. Tonight he was still sound asleep at 8:00.

There is still so much to be thankful for in the midst of sickness and strong emotions. It's much easier said than done to live one day at a time without worrying about tomorrow.
 

No comments: