Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Celebrating in ESL


 This semester I taught the Beginner 1 ESL class. I had no idea that I was going to teach this semester when I started last fall or that I even had the ability to teach. So when class was finished last week, it felt like a huge personal accomplishment.

Since that night was Bob's birthday, I decided to surprise him with an ice cream cake and use "birthday" words for the new vocabulary. It turned out to be really fun. Bob was surprised and the students enjoyed celebrating him. 

There were only 8 students there last week. I had as many as 17 students. I had the best teaching helpers this semester. 4 of them were teenagers, 2 of them were in their 20s and Bob is retired. It helped so much to be able to have the students work in small groups with an English speaker. 

One of our students got his drivers license this month. It was really inspiring to watch the students come to class every week and hear their English speaking improve. 

Will I teach again? I don't know. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was also better at teaching than I expected. It just depends on what life looks like by September.

No comments: