Thursday, July 23, 2026

Friday

 


 During the week of camp, Aliza found out that one of the options for her mandatory, in person advising sessions was being held that Friday. She had most of that Friday off and so it was quite clear that this was the session she needed to attend. 

Thursday afternoon Isaiah and I drove to WV and Thursday night Jeremy also drove to WV. On Friday we all went to Skycroft. Jeremy drove the van of girls home that I was planning to drive. Isaiah rode in the back of the Tahoe with the boys. And as soon as Aliza was finished with her part in the Closing Celebration, she and I drove the 1.5 hours to ACM. 

Aliza was required to attend a 4 hour advising session on campus. There was one other student in attendance at this session along with Aliza and myself...the director of the dental hygiene program made sure to use every bit of the 4 hours. Aliza was utterly exhausted from a week of camp with extra late nights due to skit practice at 11:30pm each night.  

Given the circumstances, Aliza and I made the plan that she would be present in body and I would be the brain. I took notes. She stood behind her chair to keep herself awake. The professor probably thought we had some kind of very strange mother/daughter dependency thing. It's ok. She will not see me again until pinning ceremony and graduation. 

After our very long meeting, tour of campus, and quick visits to advising office, financial aid and business office and foundation and scholarship office, Aliza and I went to Chick fil A to make our own plan of how we would get everything done on a timeline that works for Aliza's schedule and turning things in close to deadlines. 
 
We then drove 2.5 hours to meet Aliza's team in Baltimore where they were having supper together. Aliza told me all about her week on the way to ACM and on the way back I told her to sleep. She slept the whole way. I kept my hand on her leg the whole way (she likes that physical contact) and intermittently cried as I drove. All the Mom emotions...proud, excited for her knowing she is exactly where she is supposed to be and headed in the direction she is meant to go, gratitude for the unexpected day I had with her, and the ache of her going away for college. 

Watching her be greeted by her team with warmth and asking how her day went, could have made me cry again. It didn't though. I was too tired and needed the bathroom badly! 

I was very glad to arrive home that night. I have no more long drives planned! 

 

 

No comments: