Sunday, October 14, 2018

Kitchen Update

The hero of this story is my Mom. There is no way I would have started this project on my own. I wouldn't have even dreamed up this project on my own.

This is the before picture:
In June, while we were on vacation Mom painted the faux brick white. I LOVED it.
The next step was painting the upper cabinets white.
Mom and I did the upper cabinets in a day. Anna helped paint the doors. I really loved the white. Aliza hated it and she was sure to let me know!
Then it was my job to paint the rest of the walls. I broke it down into sections and over the next few weeks or month I got it down! I let Anna use the roller behind the refrigerator. She was so thrilled. Anna has been the most faithful helper in this project.
I was dreading doing this slated door. But it ended up that I started it on a day that my Grandad brought the mower up. So he sat in the kitchen and talked to me while Jeremy mowed the grass. That made the job much more enjoyable--having someone to talk to.
After I got the walls painted at the beginning of September, I told Mom that I had the goal of having all the painting done by Isaiah's birthday party the end of Sept. I didn't realize how big that goal was! Mom went all in and I helped her get it done!

First we removed the lower cabinet doors. I had awesome helpers! Mom took the doors to her house and stripped 3 layers of paint and varnish off.
Then Mom came up and I helped her strip the paint off the cabinets. (I'm ok if I never have to strip anything again!) This picture has stayed in my mind though--sometimes progress looks a lot like destruction.
My only claim to fame is that I stripped the drawers by myself on another day.
While Mom primed and painted the cabinet doors at her house, I primed the cabinets and drawers. By I, I mean, Josiah, Anna and Isaiah primed the cabinets.

All 3 of them stuck with it and knocked out the priming pretty fast!

Then it was time to paint the cabinets. And, actually, Mom painted them while we were at choir. I spray painted the hinges and Jeremy hung the cabinet doors---all in time for Isaiah's birthday party.
The color is dark gray--not black. I couldn't get the light just right. I love love love it! Now there are some dreams circulating for the floor, ceiling, counter and pantry area.

And, yes, Mom is my hero!


No comments: