Sunday, November 21, 2021

A Hard Good-bye

I don't even really know how to write about this because I still catch myself thinking almost every day "I can't believe she is gone." Jeremy's Aunt Betsy passed away October 30 from COVID pneumonia. She was 62 with no outstanding medical conditions (and not vaccinated since everyone asks). Her body simply fought the virus in a negative, self destructing way. Last weekend was her memorial service. There were hundreds of people that visited prior to the service and many stayed for the service. Almost all of the Freed nieces and nephews stood in the back.


Betsy was Karen's sister in law and her husband, Phil is Karen's brother. Many of Karen and Phil's aunts and uncles were in attendance. I had the chance to grab a picture with Karen and Jeremy of our shared relative. The man in the black suit, Marvin, is Jeremy's great uncle and Eunice, the lady in blue is my great aunt. Eunice is my Grandad's sister. She is 90 and it feels like this special gift to make that connection with her.

The processional to the cemetery was the longest I've ever seen. On the way, the wind picked up and it started raining and sleeting. As we drove in, I watched umbrellas turn inside out. Aliza and Jeremy went to the site, but the other children and I stayed in the car. Very wimpy, I know, but there were still A LOT of people at the graveside.

There was a meal at an event location. It was a restored barn and a really peaceful setting.



Isaiah wasn't thrilled about sandwiches but was quite proud of his chip plate. He and I had talked about 2 bags of chips. He wasn't sitting at the same table that I was and was quite proud that he got back to his table with 4 bags of chips and a Coke.


Jeremy's aunt and uncle from Oregon were there along with his brother from Texas and cousins from Montana and Indiana. It was really nice to see everyone.


This time we stayed with Jeremy's cousin and his wife. They have 8 month old twin boys. We had such a good time with them. Our children cannot wait to go back in the summer when they can really explore their yard.



Ashton crawled right up to Josiah and gave him no choice but to pick him up and then he sat contentedly on Josiah's lap for a long time.

Isaiah wasn't quite sure what to do when Rowan crawled up to him. Aliza and Anna couldn't get enough baby time.

After the service and the next morning the Freed family was together visiting, eating and playing with babies. It felt like a special time. Maybe we all felt a little more grateful and a little more fragile and family felt that much more important.

The children went to play Apples to Apples and so I took my chance to sit by Amanda. lol. One of the great aunts called Amanda "Carla" with me standing right beside Amanda. So so funny. And when Apples to Apples was over, Aliza made a bee line to Amanda and snuggled in.

I guess at some point my husband's family became my own. This has shook me as if Betsy was my aunt.
 

No comments: