Monday, February 14, 2022

The End of That Week

 I was volunteered to pick up my cousin, Hannah from the airport in Baltimore on Thursday evening. I didn't think I needed this in my week, but the schedule really worked out smoothly and Jeremy encouraged me to do it. We did school. I took a nap, made myself a cup of chai, dropped Anna off at dance and was on my way to the airport. I had planned to stop at Panera in Easton (about halfway to the airport) for supper. I was having a great trip and was looking forward to catching up on some more podcasts when my battery light came on as I was approaching Easton. I made it to Panera, had the sense to back in to a spot in the back of the parking lot. I called Jeremy and we decided that he would call AAA and I would call my Uncle to let him know I wasn't making it to the airport.

 I hung out in Panera for just about 2 hours until the tow truck arrived.

My Dad and Uncle pulled in a minute after the tow truck arrived and we continued on to the airport. Hannah had to wait 2 hours for us, but we got to catch up on the drive back home. It was not the trip I was planning on at all. Instead of helping with a trip to Baltimore, my Dad and Uncle still had to make the drive except without warning. The next morning I wrote a list of 12 things that worked out so smoothly in this situation. 

1. My battery light came on as I was coming INTO Easton.

2. I had already planned to stop at Panera. I pulled in, parked and THEN the battery died. 

3. Jeremy made one call to AAA. They said 90 minutes.

4. My Dad and Uncle had just sat down to supper when I called. They were able to leave as soon as they finished eating.

5. I could sit in Panera--safe and comfortable.

6. Tow truck arrived just a few minutes after 90 minutes

7. Dad and Jay pulled in a minute behind the tow truck which made me feel safe. The tow truck driver was a little creepty. 

8. Neither Hannah or I had our children with us.

9. Hannah did not check any baggage so she could stay inside of security with access to restaurants.

10. This all happened early in the evening at a time when no one was missing any festivities due to wait time.

11. We were all home by 12:30am giving everyone the opportunity to sleep. (Although I did not sleep much!)

12. There is a van for us to use. 

The alternator needed to be replaced. Jeremy picked the van up the next evening on his way home from work.

So I didn't sleep much and the next day was really hard. Friday was slated to be the day when the family would gather to divide, sort and pack the apartment that my grandparents lived in at my parents house. Grandad decided to leave the house as it was after Gramma passed away 4 years ago. So this day brought back so many memories of Gramma and the grief over both of them felt fresh. My mom and aunt (LeeAnne) had already done a ton of work and had laid out a lot of things on tables. The children had fun choosing what they wanted. 

It was Gramma's banana split dish that broke my heart wide open. I was curled up on her kitchen floor sobbing. It takes time for tears to reach the surface for me and that was the moment it really happened. The banana split bowl is mine now. The next few hours was packing. Aliza ended up curled up and asleep. I think most of us were jealous. We all needed a nap.


Instead of a nap, though, I went to the funeral home for a private viewing. That was hard. It was good, though, because I knew that at least some of my children were going to need me to have it together (a bit) at the funeral. Supper was brought to us that evening which was so nice for my Mom (and me--I didn't mind not cooking!). Jeremy brought the van and took the children home. I stayed at Mom and Dad's the rest of the evening. I helped Mom clean and set up for the funeral meal the next day. I was SO very tired when I got home that night. After not sleeping the night before, I sleep good that night.
 

No comments: