Sunday, February 20, 2022

The Funeral

 I've decided I've put off writing this one long enough. The pictures have been sitting here looking at me for more than a few days. I woke up the morning of the funeral with that sinking feeling of having to do something that I don't want to do.

 We had an hour of visitation before the funeral service. There were lots of tears during the visitation time. Orchids were chosen for the flowers because Grandad grew various varieties of orchids in his greenhouse.






The service opened with I Can Only Imagine, It wasn't planned, but it happened that the song played while the slideshow continued. It was just the right way for it to happen...and it was thoroughly emotional. Janell and Hannah matched Bible verses with memories that the grandchildren had of Grandad. They did a wonderful job and ended with "Blessings to you". Grandad always said that when we left in person or on the phone. It caught me completely off guard and I was crying again. My dad gave the message which was really good.
Aliza lingered after the service. Ultimately she gave her Great Grandad one more hug. Janell was with Aliza at that point. I'm so glad it was her because I think that would have done me in. When we were at my parents house every day this fall, Aliza gave Great Grandad a daily hug and he looked forward to those hugs.

While we were at the funeral, a dear friend picked up Chick Fil A and brought it to my parents' house and set it up for us. 



There were 40 people who came for lunch and fellowship for the afternoon. It was really nice to have people around to visit with. Dad and Jay had a good time with their cousins and the rest of us enjoyed listening to their stories.



About 4:00 Jeremy took our children and a couple of Brian's boys home with him. Aliza had a birthday party she wanted to go to that evening. I stayed to help clean up and linger. Brian stayed too. We spent a couple hours around Mom and Dad's table with Jay, LeeAnna, Hannah, Linda, Phil, Mom and Dad. I got home about 8:00pm. My heart was full. My body was tired. And it was time for my family to drastically change gears to prepare for the next day.

No comments: