Tuesday, February 1, 2022

We Didn't Know It Was Good-Bye


 It had been 2 weeks since we had been to my parent's house to visit Grandad after we finished our COVID quarantine. Last Friday it worked out that all the cousins were together except Sean, who had school. They had  the best time playing together. They filled the house with noise and laughter that spilled over into Grandad's house. Grandad said he wanted "peace and quiet" that day, but he didn't mind the noise of the children. (Pictured above is the boys playing in front of Grandad's room where he could see them. Taken prior to last week.)

Mom was watching Grandad closely. There were some things that concerned her. She was checking on him every 30 minutes and I was finding myself following her over just to see him. I sat beside him for a little bit. There wasn't much to say. It was about 2:00 and I confirmed to Mom after sitting with him that his breathing was different and his voice sounded different. Aliza gave him his daily hug. Grandad told me that he looks forward to those hugs. Josiah, Anna, Caleb, and Ezra went in together. Anna was crying when I found her. I left soon after the children left. I said "I love you." He said, "Love you too."

Brian made sure he came later in the afternoon. And by the time Janell got there later, Mom was staying by his side. Janell sent me a text that let me know Grandad was continuing to decline. So when the phone rang at 7:30am on a Saturday and it was my Dad, I knew that Grandad was with Jesus before Dad told me. 


No comments: