Getting Aliza moved and settled at ACM was a multiple day event. It is so nice that Jeremy's parents are just an hour and 20 away from campus so we could use their house as a base.
Thursday--we headed to West Virginia in two cars with a planned stop in Frederick for Christmas in August with Matt and Chrissy. It was a very short stop for Aliza and Josiah who were going on to ACM to pickup Aliza's books and dental hygiene instrument kit. The rest of us played pool and visited with Matt and Chrissy and went straight to Jeremy's parents house.
Friday--Aliza left at 6:45am to attend the Dental Hygiene program orientation. It was an 8 hour meeting with a break that was too short to eat lunch. Everyone was too tired for conversation after the orientation, but Aliza got to see who her roommates are.
Saturday--Aliza and I left at noon to get her checked in and an idea of how she wanted her room before the rest of the family arrived about an hour after we did.
My favorite story of the day happened in the doorway of the welcome center while we waited in line to be checked in. A man greeted us and was engaging Aliza in small talk. She reciprocated and asked if he was also a dad dropping kids off at school. He said, no, his children have already graduated from college. And he offered that he works at the ACM. Aliza asked, what his work on campus is. He said, I'm the President of the college. Aliza was very surprised! He continued to be very welcoming and personable. Aliza saw him again the first day of class and he remembered her name.
I was quite glad that we had decided to make this a family trip. Aliza's apartment is on the 3rd floor. There are no elevators and no college welcoming committee to help carry things. With the 6 of us, it didn't take too many trips to get her things to her room.
After the guys put together a few things, they went to play a round of disc golf.
Anna and I helped Aliza unpack and took a trip to Walmart. When the guys came back we were ready to put things on her walls. They guys were very patient with us girls that day!
We were all ready for supper by the time we finished! We ate at Chipotle. I did really great all day, but when I sat down with my food, tears were streaming down my face. There was no stopping it.
We dropped her off at her apartment and then went back to West Virginia. (Basically I had tears in my eyes for the next couple days.)
Sunday--We were going to go to church with Jeremy's parents, but when we got to their house Saturday night I knew there was no way that I could get myself together for church. Aliza attended the church that she had connected with and then she came to her Grandma and Grandpa's house. She didn't want to spend a whole day alone with nothing planned. The original play was to go to Shepherdstown and play Pokemon, however, the weather was terrible and so we played for a little while around the table before the 5 of us headed home. Aliza stayed until after supper and then she went back to her new home and started class Monday morning.







No comments:
Post a Comment