Saturday, August 22, 2026

The "Contract"

 


 I actually have the best friends. This time it was Cheryl who presented this 5 page "contract" to Aliza a couple days before she moved to college. A Mom can secretly hope that her child will return to the "kingdom" from where she came. A friend can put those hopes into fancy words and the one leaving for college will happily sign it. 

Here are some highlights of the "contract":

"I, Princess Aliza Marie, do hereby commit that when my time of learning has ended, I will return to my kingdom to take my rightful place. I will not be tempted by glorious riches to be found by employing my skills closer to the learning center. I know too well that existence in such realms is far more expensive than it is in my kingdom. I also know that the countryside surrounding my kingdom has great need for the things that I will be able to do."

"I, Princess Aliza Marie, do hereby renounce any love that would pull me away from my place and my people....If this near-perfect specimen of manhood exists, let him prove his love, devotion and excellence by returning to my kingdom with me. He shall be warmly welcomed therein..."

I was laughing by the time I had read to the end of page 4. But then there was fine print at the bottom of page 5. 

 "Please note, signature and conditions subject to the approval of the King of Kings. If Jesus directs my life in another direction than here stated, I am fully and freely released from the statements in this document, and will instead be responsible to follow the path that Jesus lays out for me. All in the kingdom will support this."

The laughter quickly stopped and tears filled my eyes because Cheryl captured my heart. I want Aliza to make "closer to home" her permanent residence but much more than that I want her to be where God leads her to be.  

No comments: