Tuesday, July 25, 2023

The Next 2 Weeks

 Well, I never intended for it to take so long for me to continue this story. I headed to WV, by myself, on July 3 to be with Karen for the week since Van was going back to work. Jeremy and I knew this was exactly where I needed to be. We were also being intentional in showing our children what it looks like to take care of family when they need help and how sometimes that does require sacrifice. 

I was prepared and I wasn't prepared all at the same time. It was hard to see Karen so uncomfortable. It was all new to open the door for home health nurses and physical therapists. It was different to be the one listening to the medical conversation and making advocacy comments. It wasn't exactly restful to sleep on couch not made for sleeping on. lol. 

There were precious moments where we recognized every single small victory in the process of recovery. We enjoyed some scrumptious strawberries and blueberries that made a perfect 4th of July treat. I got to meet friends who brought food and came to visit.

I got some Aunt Carla time with Ronan that I didn't have to share at all!
I celebrated my birthday in the most quiet setting I've ever had to date.
I poured medicine. It's a little different feeling to pour medicine that will change a person's life if I make a mistake.
And on Friday, when my Mom was passing through on her own trip, she stopped by and I was just grateful to have both of my Moms in the same room. I drove home Friday evening...
...and on Sunday afternoon I headed back to WV with Josiah, Anna and Isaiah with me. Karen would have survived without us, but we kept her positive and encouraged for a few more days. The kids didn't believe that I could play 4 square. (I can!)
I felt much more "normal" this week having the kids with me and they were awesome. They played together or played quietly. They didn't mind being in the basement playing if Grandma was sleeping. In the evenings we got out and did something different. One night we explored Poor House Farm Park and got ice cream.
The next night they got some cousin time. It was pretty neat to put a couple of my kiddos in the playpen with Ronan.

We came home Thursday afternoon. I felt good about going home this time. That week Karen had walked down the garage steps, been able to lay in a bed, and could open the refrigerator and cook an egg. This is still just the very beginning of what is going to be a long road of recovery. Our bodies are amazing with what they can withstand and heal from.
 

No comments: