Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Spontaneous Side Trip

On the Garden Tour, Chrissy casually mentioned that Cunningham Falls would be really big with all the rain we've had. That piqued my interest and by that evening Jeremy said yes and I had our little side trip on our way home planned!

Cunningham Falls is in Frederick, MD. I packed us a picnic lunch. It didn't take much convincing for Chrissy to agree to join us. I know it would have been fun for Jeremy to have Matt come along, but we understood that he had work commitments. It was a really pretty day. It was quite nice to see blue sky. It had been at least a week since we had seen blue sky! This wasn't quite our picnic view, but we did eat looking over the lake.
It was a half mile hike to the falls overlook. The trail was well maintained and just the right distance for us all to handle easily. The children were posing for pictures--and so we took pictures!
Totally Isaiah's own pose--he picked the tree and stuck his leg out around it.



I understand that this falls is usually a trickle of water. It was rushing the day we were there.
There was a place on the trail where you could easily walk down to the stream. We stopped both ways and on the way back I found the perfect rock to sit on. And so we took some more pictures. Jeremy and I got photo bombed by Josiah.
The passing of time is so hard to deal with! I love this tribe of mine so much! It's so fun to go on adventures right now when they are young enough to be in awe and excited and old enough to walk a mile round trip with minimal complaining.
And a picture with Chrissy too! She has been with me through every adventure stage from helping me get 3 littles across the street to the library safely to having some good conversations with Aliza. I'm glad she's stuck with us!
We had a pretty quiet trip on the way home with 4 children napping. Unfortunately that meant I was exhausted at bedtime and they were wide awake!

No comments: