Thursday, August 16, 2018

A Beautiful Memorial

The Flight 93 National Memorial turned out to be a most worthwhile side trip on our way to Ohio to visit my Grandma. As we drove in, I told my older children about my memories of the morning of Sept. 11 and the stories we learned about Flight 93. I almost became emotional thinking about the people on the flight deciding to crash in the field instead of into a building in Washington DC.

From the parking lot you follow the flight route to the visitor center and an overlook of the crash site. The visitor center has all sorts of information about the crash, the events leading up to the crash and the people on the flight.

I was watching a video of various newscasts from the morning of Sept 11 and the woman beside me mentioned that she remembered where she was on Sept 11. (Don't we all!?) I bit and asked her where she was. She said she was homeschooling her children and her oldest was in college just 20 minutes from the crash site. She told me that at 20 minutes away he felt the actual impact of the crash.
From the visitor center there are 2 trails that go to closer to the crash site and the memorial wall. You can drive also.
There is a quarter mile walk to the wall.
The wall is individual pieces to represent each person's sacrifice, but from a distance it appears to be one wall to represent the unified effort of the flight to avoid more casualties. Each wall is engraved with a name.
And from the wall you can see the crash site and the sandstone boulder that marks it.
A 93 foot wind chime is being constructed at the entrance to the memorial. It will have 30 pipes to represent each individual voice that was lost. It will be the largest wind chime in the world.

I know Aliza was impacted by this stop. I was too. Not just because I remember the day it happened, but because of the thought and detail the architect put into each piece of the memorial.












No comments: