Monday, October 1, 2018

Moving in the Mornings

With any luck I'll have a flurry of blog posts this week, but only time will tell if that actually happens!

Sometime mid summer I started making sure I took the children out for bike rides so that could walk. I would set my times for 20 minutes and walk as briskly as the demands of Isaiah needing a push or waiting for him allowed.

After a month or 6 weeks of doing that I realized that I could probably jog. Not that I've ever had any desire to do any kind of running. I'm not really sure what possessed me at that moment. I did wonder at one point if my thyroid levels were possibly high giving me extra energy that won't last. lol.

I had used the C25K app years ago so I downloaded the app again and gave it a try one afternoon with the kids riding bikes. I got through half of the walk/job intervals. The next day I got through half again and when we got back inside--let's just say I called it exercise rage and decided that it wasn't worth jogging over the misery that ensued.

I can't exactly remember what happened next, but I think Jeremy did the whole workout with me one evening while the kids rode bikes. And I did the whole thing. Then we decided that we could do it together in the mornings which thrilled Aliza because she could get up and shower while we were out and be done by the time we got back. The next morning Jeremy and I got up and did it.
Three weeks later we are still going strong! Aliza loving the new routine is definitely good motivation for me. And, honestly, it has revolutionized our mornings. Maybe it's just simply that Aliza gets a better and earlier start to her day. But it's good! Jeremy wishes I would want to progess through the training weeks faster, but I don't! I'm going for cardiovascular health, not winning a 5k. Plus getting some fresh air in the morning is a good start to the day. We made it through some really hot, muggy mornings. I'm not at all sure about making it through bitter cold mornings. Jeremy says I'll just want to do more running to keep warm!

No comments: