Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Grocery Shopping

In the midst of people overbuying and stock piling groceries, I have chosen to continue to go to the grocery store once a week. My shopping strategy has been to be at the store at 7:30am with a list of meal possibilities for the week instead of a list of specific foods to buy. This is week 2 and so far it has worked, but not without me losing some sleep!

There is so much conversation about what is not in the stores right now that I've laid awake for several hours Sunday nights making contingency plans in my mind for what I might be able to get if X, Y, or Z foods are not in stock.

Both weeks I have gotten to the store to find that most food staples are stocked. I have been able to get meat, milk, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables. There is a lot less choice which has led to spending more money than usual because I have to buy different brands and/or larger quantities. (A larger bag of shredded cheese, bigger bags of meat or double packs of something instead of singles) We will use everything and so I keep hoping that that will translate into a week with a lower grocery bill. Who knows though!

This last Monday I told myself, as I was walking through the store, that it all is going to be ok. The supply is sufficient and I don't need to worry about feeding my family. There are some things that we don't have, like our favorite cereals and peanut butter, but there are LOTS of things that we do have. I've walked out of the grocery store relieved and doubly grateful for what we have.

No comments: