Sunday, May 23, 2021

Barn Sign Bench

My grandfather was a dairy farmer and later had steers. Seeing his name on the barn was a trademark of the property. The new owners kept the sign on the barn for a lot of year, but a couple years ago I noticed that it had been removed.


Last summer Grandma decided that I needed the signs. She thought I wanted them, but I had never considered even asking for them. I really didn't even know what I would do with the signs. I thought they were neat and since they still existed I thought someone should do something with them. 

And so I brought them home. They fit down the center of the minivan--from the very front to the back.

 

 I threw out the idea of making a bench using the signs. Jeremy thought about it off and on for a couple seasons and then settled on a style. One weekend he decided to start i. It was a day when we were just home and I was able to sit outside with him while he was working. We both really enjoyed that time together.

 The first step was to lay out the wood. We were able to use all reclaimed wood from the deck wood that we had saved and from porch boards that have been in the rafters of the garage for many, many years.

Jeremy can do anything with some directions and a youtube video! He had fun in the process too.
The instructions were for a 4 foot bench. He doubled it to be an 8 foot bench.
I decided that I wanted it to be white. Anna used the deck cleaner and she helped me with the first coat. Aliza and I did the second coat. Now I'm looking for the perfect farm themed pillows for the ends.
I really love it. I also love how my "computer guy" keeps surprising me with his talents and ability and that he is willing to do something new just because he loves me.

 

No comments: