Friday, April 3, 2009

Domestic Duties can be Dangerous


Wednesday I was washing lunch dishes and this glass broke in my hand. I looked down and saw that I had cut myself badly. I figured I needed stitches, but it was a wide cut and didn't look like it could be pulled together. I was alone with the children and got scared. I could hardly think who to call and I wanted someone to come quick! After several no answers. I called a retired neighbor couple. He is on the local volunteer fire department so his idea was to take me to see the paramedic on staff. His wife stayed with the children and off we went. The paramedic poured hydrogen peroxide on it and slapped on a band-aid.

I didn't feel good about it when I got home. I called Mom at work for comfort, but she didn't give it to me. Dad came over and off I went...alone...to immediate care. Our immediate care center is fabulous and this experience was no exception. The wait was minimal. They looked at it and said they were going to clean it and put a scab on the cut. I'll spare you the details since it's hard to type, but it hurt...bad. And I am really bad at breathing in scary situations and ended up fighting to not pass out for an hour. Oxygen and everything. The Dr. was so nice though. She stayed in the room with me and didn't make me feel stupid at all. I survived without passing out and drove home.

She wanted to check it out again in 24 hours so I went in yesterday. It looks so gross. Now my job is to keep it clean. I have to keep it dry and when the children are asleep I have to take the bandage off and let it open to the air. And I have to wash it too. The goal is for it not to get infected so I'm trying my best to do my part. I feel a bit gimpy though!

I'll feel a lot better when the antibiotics are finished. I have no gumption. I'd like to just stay in bed!

3 comments:

Christie said...

Oh my word! I am so sorry! If I were you I would milk it for all its worth so that you get extra special treatment :)Hey, moms don't get sick days at least you could get some ice cream or something. Take care.

Christy said...

Oh no!!! I hope you feel better soon, it is no fun to have a hand injured. I never realized how much I used my left hand until I had surgery on mine and I couldn't do ANYTHING without help.

chrissy said...

Awww. Please let me know if you need anything! It is awful cleaning scary looking wounds, but they look less ugly if you take good care of them. Jeremy's been helping you, right?