Monday, April 13, 2009

Relief

Ugh! Potty training. I don't recommend it at all--for any parent! It's part of the deal, I guess, and one of those things that would certainly be easier done with a training manual. Aliza is so, so close. In the last week she has totally initiated #1 and been successful. She hasn't had an accident since she started initiating. On the flip side she has not gone #2 since she started initiating. Today was day 6 since she last pooped.

On Saturday she woke up and told me at breakfast, "Mommy I not going to throw up." The Mommy radar went on alert. I realized it had been 4 days since she pooped and thought that was probably the reason for her tummy feeling upset. I figured I'd do a quick suppository and the problem would be fixed. The suppository didn't do the trick. On Sunday I picked up a stimulant laxative for children figuring that was another fool proof plan. It didn't work.

By this morning I figured I really needed to make some progress. I talked to a friend and called the Dr. office just to make sure I was on the right track. Of course the Dr. office said a toddler shouldn't go more than 3-4 without pooping. Oops! I made another trip to Wal-Mart for grapes, mineral oil and a child's enema (just in case). My biggest concern was that Aliza not get to the point where she got sick.

She ate A LOT of grapes at lunch time and didn't know there was mineral oil in her apple juice. Then tonight I gave her the laxative again and let her soak in the tub. She was in and out of the tub wanting to use the potty. AND she was actually agreeing to push when she was on the potty. I tucked her in hoping that I wouldn't have to use the enema tomorrow. When I got home from TCBY (we have to celebrate a big tax return!) she had pooped in her diaper! I was sooooo excited. I was so relieved you would have thought I was the one pooping!

1 comment:

Christie said...

Yeah Aliza!!!Yeah Mamma!!!! Here is to more healthy poops to come!