Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Never Expected

I never expected to place three orders for BJU curriculum in the last week and a half. It was so close to school starting that I figured that the buying season was over. I got one phone call and then another and I thought for sure that was it.

Then we were invited to a BBQ last weekend at the home of one of Jeremy's friends.

I didn't know anyone there, but it is pretty rare that we get an invitation for the whole family so I thought it would be god to take advantage of it. We arrived and there were dogs which meant that our children would not take a step away from my side. No one made any effort to greet me--the one person who did strike up a conversation started with asking if I was Catholic. He wondered because we had *so* many children. That made me laugh inside. I told me we were Protestant. lol. After that I just tried to fade into the background!

There was one lady, though, that started talking to Jeremy. I overheard homeschool, but that isn't uncommon since it is pretty much part of my identity right now. This lady then made her way over to me. (I did like her immediately.) The end of the story is that public school was going to start in less than 2 days and she had yet to decide what she was doing with her 7th grader. We had a great conversation. Everything that I told her about BJU resonated with her. The next day (Monday) she and I met so that she could preview the 7th grade books and she ordered on the spot. That BBQ turned into a divine appointment that I never expected. But no one every *expects* divine appointments, right?

I never expected that a market for BJU for emerge on this little peninsula of Maryland. I am so very thankful for the opportunities that I've had to talk to moms who are contemplating home education. I never expected that my 6 years of experience would translate into being able to confidently field questions about starting, organizing, and a whole range of other topics. I may have hoped, but never really expected that I would be able to contribute to the curriculum line in our budget. For all of those unexpected things, I am so very thankful.

No comments: