Saturday, September 8, 2018

Sept. 7 Ice Cream

I knew that I wanted to do something to remember Gramma on the day that she passed away. I wanted it to included Grandad and be something that she really enjoyed. I decided on ice cream at Chesapeake Dairy. Mom was off work and Dad was available so all of us met there and enjoyed ice cream and remembering Gramma. Gramma took pictures every single time she went to Chesapeake Dairy--usually of everyone sitting on the cow benches. And then she would get multiple reprints of the photo and send them to the 10 or so friends that she sent pictures to! I was cheap and didn't order the photos, but I did post the picture on facebook so that my friends--and very casual acquaintances (lol)--could see the picture.

After ice cream we went to Mom and Dad's house and I sat with Grandad and visited. The children played in his house which hasn't happened much this past year. All of them say they feel sad when they are in his house because it makes them miss Gramma. I totally get it. I do too! It was good to just be with Grandad.

I have two grandparents and they are in their 90s. What I've learned this year is that no matter how much time you have with someone, in this case grandparents, it is never enough time. In light of that, I'll make the most of every opportunity I have for a conversation or a visit.

No comments: