Monday, April 1, 2019

The Story of the Burned Pot

While Jeremy and Josiah set off for a boys conference with the group that Josiah is a part of on Wednesday evenings....

...Aliza, Anna, Isaiah and I came home from choir. I put some water on the stove to boil for a gallon of tea. Apparently I thought I was on a retreat too because I completely forgot about the water and 2 hours later Aliza went to the kitchen because she smelled something funny. The pot was smoking and crackling. I carried it outside and hosed it down with water before I opened the lid to find this...
The house was filled with smoke. I still can't quite figure out how we went from a small smell to the downstairs filled with smoke. It smelled terrible. I had to call Jeremy and on speaker phone tell him and the guy he was driving with about the pot. I told Jeremy I was throwing the pot away. The man Jeremy was with was a missionary in Zimbabwe for 20 years and assured Jeremy that a little scrubbing and that pot would be back in use. Thankfully, there was a strong breeze that evening. I opened the doors and windows for several hours and a lot of the smell was taken care of.

When Jeremy got home and over the next 2 weeks, Jeremy worked on the pot. It always sat with water in it. One evening he experimented with boiling different things in it to see if anything would loosen the crud. Ultimately he scraped and scrubbed and finally declared it good as new.
And you know what? I smiled and thanked him for showing me Jesus. Because isn't that just like God? I was going to throw that pot away without a second thought except that it is my favorite pot. Jeremy saw potential though and he was willing to take the time, effort and extreme measures to save the pot despite how much crud was there and how hard it was sticking to the pot. God doesn't give up on us. He might try to boil and soak us, but when it comes down to it He is willing to scrape and scrub until I'm the woman He wants me to be. Now whenever I use that pot I'm reminded of my failure, but also of God's faithfulness.

No comments: