Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Mr. Independent

I went deep into the blog archives to confirm that the first year I took Aliza to Bible School was in 2008. That makes this year the 11th and final year that I will have a child in the preschool class at this little community Bible School at the Methodist Church. For the most part, parents stay with their children and I've been there with a child for 11 years. So I was already feeling a bit nostalgic with Isaiah on the first night when he joined his class and informed that I didn't need to stay...he was fine. NONE of my other children said that! ALL of them hung on me even dropping them off to the kindergarten class and beyond.

Last night I hung around and sat back and watched while he sang songs, got help with his craft from one of the teenage boys, told his teacher that he was a good listener, and answered questions...
...ate his bear cupcake and then did all kinds of water bottle flipping maneuvers. Honestly, I was very proud of him. I just keep on getting confirmation that he is indeed ready for kindergarten.
Tonight I decided that I would come home for a little while. What a novel idea! I came home for an hour, caught up with Jeremy and then went back when I knew Isaiah would be outside playing and I could chat with the other moms. Isaiah was running up the plastic slides and jumping off the platform like a crazy kid. All of a sudden Isaiah was running to me crying that he had been stung. Sure enough--he was stung through his sock by a wasp. And I was glad that I had come back in time to be there when he was actually still a 4 year old who needed his Mommy. He got ice and all kinds of attention and it wasn't very long until he was saying he was ok and that it only hurt a tiny bit. And it all made my heart ache in the way that it does when the youngest child grows up.

No comments: