Saturday, June 8, 2019

Speaking Up

I don't know what is happening, but in the last week or so I have been speaking up in places where I would not have before. I'm going to blame it on having growing up children and a new decade of life coming. Here's a couple examples:

Orthodontist office: Aliza is still in treatment and we are ready to start Josiah's treatment. I inquire about the down payment and am told that the office has just started new payment options. A Gold, Platinum and Family Plan. The Gold Plan saves us a little money. The Platinum Plan costs more than the quote and the Family Plan covers up to 4 family members, includes lifetime warranties and would save us several thousand dollars over the course of 4 Gold Plans. The problem is that we have already paid for one child's treatment. We have 3 children to go and would have had 4 (which the family plan covers) had Aliza been included. So I asked if what we already paid for Aliza could be applied to the Family Plan since we do have 4 children. I have not received an answer since the question had not be asked or considered as it was the first couple days of releasing the new plan.

Library: There was a time when I would not go to the library alone because I didn't trust the children to cross the street carefully at a busy intersection. Those days have passed. I take the children alone, but I'm still very vigilant as we cross that intersection. Last week we went to the library and I was surprised to see that the traffic light was replaced by stop signs and the cross walk signals had been removed. I understand that all cars stop at a 4 way stop and should yield to pedestrians but this new set up did not feel safer than the old one with cross walk signals. I approached the children's librarian and told her that I missed the cross walk signals. That a lot of children cross that intersection and with the summer reading program starting soon even more children will be using that intersection cross walk. She wrote down my complaint and before I left told me that it would be posted on an internal forum where the Director would see it.

Pediatric Dentist: I take the children to a large resident pediatric dental office. I make the same appointment for all 4 of them and we are in and out of there in an hour and I only make a trip to the dentist twice a year instead of up to 8 times a year if they had separate appointments. Isaiah was a dream this time. He did not make a peep and totally cooperated. His dentist asked him if his Mom helps him brush his teeth. Isaiah said no and I got the lecture about helping my kid brush their teeth. The dentist asked Isaiah what he likes to drink and he said milk. The dentist told me that Isaiah should only have milk to drink with meals and he went on to say that I shouldn't give Isaiah anything to eat between meals because it introduces sugar to the teeth and increases the risk of cavities. I get that. But that isn't reality in practical parenting. So I asked that young dentist if he had children. He said no. With a smile and a laugh I wished him the best of luck in following his own advice when he has children.

As long as it stay respectful and in good humor this trend may continue! Now I need to call that orthodontist office back to see if they reached a decision on family plans.

No comments: