Friday, August 30, 2019

First Ever Pumpkin Harvest

This spring I bought a packet of seeds from Floret Flowers and gave them to Grandad to plant since he has plenty of room. I promptly forgot about them until last week when he told me that I had a lot of pumpkins growing. Then this week Grandad and Mom told me it was time to pick them. 

Yesterday the children and I headed down to pick pumpkins. I had no idea how fun it would be to discover pumpkins hidden among vines.
 I had enthusiastic helpers!

 Josiah and I found this one. The biggest one in the field.


 Mom had to keep going back to the shop to find more wheelbarrows!
 And then we realized how heavy the wheelbarrows were!
 This was not my wheelbarrow (lol) but one did tip over. It was really hard to balance the weight.
 Grandad declared he had a lot more experience balancing wheelbarrows than me and so he pushed that wheelbarrow out of the field. He is mighty! He did admit that his heart was pumping pretty hard at the end.

 I love all the colors. I'm sure some could have kept on growing, but this time we decided to just pick them all. It hasn't rained in a few days so all the pumpkins were dry and not rotting. 48 pumpkins!


 We wiped off the bugs and loose dirt and I brought them home. Now they are on the porch waiting to be given away.

No comments: