Monday, August 12, 2019

Ohio Trip--2

The original plan for this day didn't work out so Janell and I had to come up with a plan on the fly. We probably should have chosen one of these activities and rested for the rest of the day, but we did them both and were exhausted at the end of the day!

Who would have guessed that Spangler candy factory that makes Dum Dum lollipops and candy canes is in middle of nowhere Ohio.
 There was a trolley tour of the packaging and shipping departments that we went on. (I'm leaving out a very dramatic and emotional story of Anna and Isaiah thinking the world had ended over having to wear hair nets on the trolley.) It was interesting to see how Dum-Dums are made. We also learned that this factory is the only one in the US that makes candy canes. They have their own brand and also make candy candies for Jelly Belly and Smarties.
 Janell and I noticed a lot of pallets of Oreo candy canes so decided to start our holiday candy collection.
 
 I'm pretty sure the gift shop was the highlight of this adventure for the children. They all had plenty of Dum-Dums to take home. I also added the holiday edition of Dum-Dums to my collection.

 It was a beautiful day and we took full advantage of it at Lake Harrison State Park. We ended up driving around a good portion of the lake trying to find a spot to swim. Janell and I weren't doing too good on navigation skills at this point!
 The children swam. Janell and I laid on the grass and read. Well, I think Janell read a little bit. I tried, but Isaiah still requires my eyes.
 Finally, we had pizza at the park with Grandma and Mom. This park is one that the children looked forward to playing at again.
Grandma made chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are a big deal because she says she isn't baking cookies any more. So when they appear they taste extra delicious!

No comments: