Sunday, September 8, 2019

The First Week of School

Wow. What a week. That was hard. These days are long. Those are the thoughts that I had pretty much all week last week. On the second day of school I was texting Jeremy saying "this homeschooling gig is not for the faint of heart." By Friday evening I had my head on the table telling Jeremy how discouraged I was at the length of our school days and different antics I dealt with and how tired I was. Later that evening, I talked to one of my customers, with children similar ages to my oldest ones, and her days had been going about the same. I felt more encouraged after I talked to her. I think it's just all of us settling back into the routine and work load. There were some tears the first day but none after that. The challenges are pretty much what I expected. I'm being stricter about some things to develop character--in me and the children as it turns out!

Let's talk about kindergarten for a minute. My youngest child is in kindergarten! It didn't really hit me until he did the first Snack of the Week that all of the children did. Cupcakes. (Next week is the most memorable snack of the week.) He got his first reading book on Friday. Granted, it didn't have any words in it, but still!

Isaiah is a super willing learner. I have to remind him to get back to work and stick with it just like the others, but he hasn't fought me about going back to his table. Isaiah is really good about following his teacher's directions and he worked SO hard to make his "t"s. Since he is a young kindergartner, I  can see that he has to work extra in fine motor skills. But, then again, he holds his pencil correctly! He's ready, he's doing great and I'm cheering him on with a smile on my face and maybe a twinge in my heart here and there!

No comments: