Sunday, September 15, 2019

A Chincoteague Afternoon

September 7, last Saturday, was 2 years since Gramma died and we made plans with some of my family to have ice cream together. Jeremy and I decided to make an afternoon of it and take the children to the beach. We arrived at the beach only to find out that most of the parking area was washed out by the tropical storm conditions the day before. People were parking way down the road. 

It was about the time of day when a lot of people leave the beach so we decided to do the lighthouse trail and then go back to see if we could find a parking space.
That day the lighthouse was open for tours. I had never been to the top. Anna did NOT want to go to the top so we split up and went in shifts. Jeremy took Aliza and Isaiah first. It's 175 steps in a spiral and going up you can see through the stairs. Isaiah got scared and Jeremy carried him all the way up and all the way down.

While we were waiting, Josiah decided that even though he is scared of heights he was going to go to the top. He did! And Aliza decided to go to the top again with us. Josiah's hands were cold and he held on to the rail for dear life, but he made it to the top and back down.
That's Aliza at the rail! And, oh yes, I was the one with very sore legs the next day. Going down was harder on my legs than going up.
There was a parking space when we went back to the beach! We had less than an hour and there were WAY more people than I am comfortable around on the beach. But we were at the beach with Daddy and the children loved every second of him being there. The beach just isn't what we often choose to do on weekends.
A quick clean up was required and then we met Janell's family, my Dad and my Grandad at Island Creamery for ice cream. I love that Grandad lives here and we can surround him on days like today.
My current favorite at Island Creamery is Snickers Cheesecake in a waffle cone.
This dude chose a chocolate milkshake. How does anyone, even a 4 year old, get a milkshake--with a straw--ALL over their shirt, face, hands and ear??!!
These simple outings and times together and ones that I hold close to my heart.

No comments: