Thursday, October 17, 2019

On Neighboring

Hey Kids,
When you have neighbors of your own, here is your Mom's story of how to get along. Jesus taught us that the second most important thing after loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength is to love your neighbor as yourself.

Here's the thing--the first step is to know your neighbor. Don't live beside someone and not know their name. When they are outside, talk to them. When they invite you to their kids' birthday parties, go! When you see their posts on social media, write a comment. Get their phone number and send a text once in a while. Because those little acts of creating relationship will go a long way when something happens that could cause conflict.

But if there is something that just isn't going to work for you, don't sit quietly by stewing. Talk to them! They might just be willing to change to accommodate your wishes even though it only effects their property. At that moment all of those small relationship efforts will pay off exponentially.

You see, one weekend, I looked out the living room window and this very nice shed was being parked right outside our living room window. I did not want to look at the back of even a very nice looking shed every time I looked out the living room window. I was upset actually! At this point you have 2 choices, you can speak up or you can leave well enough alone. I decided to speak up. There is nothing wrong with speaking up! I walked right over and talked to my neighbor's dad and after the conversation with him, I texted my neighbor. Yes, they knew I was unhappy, even very annoyed! But I was not unkind, threatening or disrespectful. After all, it is their property and the shed was off the trailer. 
You know what? A few minutes later, that shed was back on the trailer and being moved parallel to the old shed.
And then the dad came over to make sure I was ok with the new location (of course I was more than happy) and we chatted and introduced ourselves officially. You see, we had seen each other at birthday parties. We weren't complete strangers. And next time I see him, I won't have to hang my head or avoid him over how I acted.

So, kids, love your neighbor and don't be afraid to speak to people. It might just make your world a better place in more than one way.

Love,
Mom

No comments: