Friday, January 31, 2020

Homeschool Snapshot--Book Club

This year Aliza was invited to join a group of girls who meet monthly for a book club. This year a region is chosen each month and the girls choose any book they want to read for about that region. This month it was polar regions. The leader is a "retired" homeschool mom. She serves tea, the girls take turns bring snacks, they talk about the region and then take turns talking about their books with a series of questions.

It was our turn for snack. Aliza found a penguin made with an Oreo and that what we settled on. I thought it was a turning point that Aliza could assemble the snack all by herself!

Aliza finds it overwhelming to pick out a book and I think it's great fun to look for book options. So I give her a list to choose from. My option list for polar regions was pretty short once I remembered what the Iditerod is. I thought she *had* to read an Iditerod book! She chose Fast Into the Night by Debbie Moderow. It took her a couple weeks to read it. She thought it was pretty boring. When she finished the book, I read it in 4 days and found it completely fascinating. Aliza can tell you every detail of fiction books. I will talk and talk about books about real people.

No comments: