Sunday, September 12, 2021

This Week's Building Recap (September 1-6)

 This week's progress was our responsibility. The time has come for us to move out of the kitchen, laundry room and half bathroom. I had packed all of the "extras" before Jeremy and I left for NY because I knew we were getting close and wasn't sure how much time I would have to move out when we got back. 

The laundry room emptied pretty easily. We saved the cabinets to use in the new laundry room. I had forgotten about the old wallboard pattern. Anna really likes it. lol.


Moving out of the kitchen and setting up the dining room to function as a kitchen was our Labor Day project. While I packed boxes, the boys emptied the pantry and the girls organized the shelves in the dining room.

Josiah enjoyed breaking the pantry when it was empty.
The refrigerator is in the dining room.

We took the middle board out of the table and used it to make a countertop. There was a small desk in the garage that works to hold the countertop and gives me a couple drawers.


A friend of mine completely surprised me with a toaster oven. I couldn't believe it when she put the box in my car. She said I HAD to have a way to cook nuggets and bake cookies.


That first night Isaiah pulled up a chair and said, "I need to just observe. This is sooooo interesting." So he sat there a bit taking it all in. I think all of us feel that way to some degree. We need a moment to take all this in.

It was 8pm when I took the last box out of the kitchen. And I choked up a bit. I'm pretty sure everyone who reads my blog also follows me on either facebook or instagram so you've seen my kitchen post. If not, go find it. 

Currently, we are at the one week mark in the dining room kitchen. I've used every appliance I kept out. Everything takes a bit more effort and patience. We are washing dishes in the bathtub and using paper plates and plastic utensils whenever we can. I keep pitchers full of water to drink. Several of the children are still not sure about drinking water from the bathtub. And we are finding out how busy the downstairs half bathroom was!

 
It's working though. We are going to appreciate the new so much more after living "uncomfortably" for a while (or a long time) depending on how things go.

No comments: