Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Too Many Childhood Vaccinations?

By the time Josiah was 15 months old he had 24 vaccinations recorded in his immunization book. Additionally there is blood work ordered at 1 and 2 years old to test lead and iron levels. Flu shots are offered and there is the new swine flu vaccination being made available. Where does a parent draw the line? Is there a point where we cross over from acting out of responsibility to making decisions based on paranoia?

Are vaccinations being used for convenience? My children have received a chicken pox vaccination. I had chicken pox as did everyone else my age. Sure, it was uncomfortable and a bit inconvenient for parents especially working parents, but does it really warrant a vaccination?

How much medicine can those little bodies process?

Why should a Mom have to prepare a 4 year old to receive 5 immunizations at one time?

Doctors have to pressure us, so to speak, to follow the regiment to cover themselves. But given the authority they have, it leads this Mom to feeling guilty is I don't follow their orders completely.

4 comments:

Christie said...

Boy I hear you. I am still not sure what to do at any given moment...don't know if I will ever really know what is the best choice.

Christy said...

I firmly believe that growing up on a farm and being exposed to all kinds of germs made me less susceptible to being sick as a teacher today. I rarely get sick (maybe once a year) and have that upbringing to thank for it. In my opinion, anyway.

Christy said...

also, in the case of chicken pox, which is pretty harmless to a kid, it can be pretty dangerous to get it as an adult.

Me said...

Oh, man, Carlos and I were just talking about this too! (again!) It almost feels like a lose-lose guessing game, I feel guilty getting them and I feel guilty not getting them and I'm just not sure who to believe about what is really best...
Do they vary state to state in what they recomend? I'm pretty sure even Mic didn't get 24 and she had some "extras" becuase of some of her "speical risks" (all in OR).