Monday, June 21, 2010

Sheats Lawnmower

We are again the proud owners of a lawnmower. This one came from my Grandad since they are gettting ready to move. I was especially excited to get a Dixon. I know that is a little odd, but my Dad and Grandad used to own a lawnmower repair business in South Florida (where people cut grass all year). This particular style of lawnmower is what my Dad taught me to mow grass with when I was in 3rd grade. We had a very large yard and as I recall he was on one mower and I was on another.

What you have to understand is that because my Dad and Grandad repaired lawnmowers there is never/rarely a NEW lawnmower in the family. This mower is as old as the hills...well...not as old as me, but anyway, it still runs if you know the trick to turning it on properly. On this mower if you don't turn a particular valve before starting it the gas will run into the oil tank which means the oil would have to be changed before you could use it and if you don't realize your mistake soon enough the engine will be ruined. It was pretty funny. The morning after Jeremy used it the first time we both woke up wondering if it the valve had been turned off when the mower was turned off.

The other thing about a Sheats lawnmower is that if it starts on the first try it is a lucky day. I remembered this when Jeremy tried to start the mower the morning after Dad dropped if off the evening before. That evening Dad had started it, explained the whole vavle thing and test drove it in the yard. Seriously, the next morning the battery was dead and Jeremy had to charge it before he mowed. I had to laugh.

3 comments:

Janell said...

Long live the dixon! If I had a bigger yard I would be jealous. :)

Me said...

oh yeah!!!! Dixons ROCK!!! Growing up mowing the lawn was a chore of more than an hour and with plenty of trees. I learned on a Ford Tractor mower and when it got replaced by the Dixon....ahhhhhh! DELIGHT!

Christie said...

Its vintage!