Friday, June 25, 2010

So Long, Insecurity

I recently finished reading So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore. Great book. I highly recommend it to anyone. The message of the book is very challenging and leaves me with a lot to think about. I should probably read it again some day!

One particular portion of Scripture jumped out at me. You know, one of those where you have to look it up to make sure that your Bible has that verse in it.

Psalm 112:1, 7-8 (I'm changing the word "man" to "woman")
Blessed is the woman who fears the Lord,
who finds great delight in his commands.

She will have no fear of bad news;
her heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
Her heart is secure, she will have no fear;
in the end she will look in triumph on her foes.

Beth talks about trusting God with life and the things that make us insecure. Her challenge is to pray, I choose to trust you, God. Period. Trusting God without expectation or demands. Just childlike trust. That has been my prayer.

It works. There is uncertainty swirling around me. I don't know what the future holds. But there are specific instances in the past few weeks where I am keenly aware that I am happy, content and joyful in the deepest place in my heart. I know that I know I am where I am supposed to be and by trusting in God and nothing else I can walk through uncertainty and insecure times with a steadfast heart and a sense of security, free of fear. That's my goal.

No comments: