Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A First Grade Office

This is where Aliza has been doing her school work. During the first day of school, at the dining room table, Aliza decided that she needed to make a desk--out of a cardboard box. For once one of her grand ideas was cost effective!! I wasn't sure how this was going to work, but she brought in a box from the garage and we cut out holes in the front and back of the box so that it would fit over her legs. I reinforced the top and underneath the top of the desk with the flaps of cardboard that we cut off. She was just thrilled. The designated place for her "office" was behind the rocking chair in the *small* room that she and Anna share. I still wasn't sure how the computer was going to fit but I realized that if I turned the rocking chair around, the computer could sit on the rocking chair and Aliza would still have her desk to do her work. To say that Aliza was thrilled would be an understatement. She spent so much time taking her supplies upstairs and organizing her office.

It is nice to see her take responsibility for her things. It's also a first step toward her taking responsibility for her learning. I'm happy to see some maturing happening! I wish we had space for her to have her own room and a real desk area. Maybe someday...

No comments: