Friday, July 22, 2016

It Was the Grandparents

There are lots of stories from the children's time with Grandma and Grandpa, but those are theirs to tell. This one, however, includes Jeremy and I--sortof.

Jeremy and I were having supper at a corner cafe in downtown Stroudsburg. There were lots of young people on the street looking at their phones and walking. Jeremy started commenting on who was making their second or third rounds past the cafe. It was during this meal that I was introduced to the craze of Pokemon Go. (It's a game, an app, where you walk around in the real world and catch Pokemon characters. That's the best description I can give!) While I'm sitting at the table, dumbfounded by the sheer number of people who are obviously playing this game, I receive a text from my mother-in-law. "Oh my...We are on a Pokemon adventure...It all started after we went to the park and Grandpa thought maybe we should check...Josiah and Aliza caught some."
The adventure included driving to local locations to get more balls (needed for the game).




Jeremy and I had our own conversation about the game. The waitress told her story of patrons who were way too involved in the game. Jeremy was telling me stories he heard of people who were injured while walking and not paying attention to where they were going. And as sat there watching, we saw two guys walk through an intersection without looking when the red hand was on the crossing sign.

As it stands now the game is not on Jeremy's phone and we haven't heard much about it from the kids since we've been home. The children have started watching the cartoon and checked out a couple books from the library. I know that time changes perception. A show that was not allowed by my parents seems very tame now--even to children who are very sensitive to what they see on TV.

No comments: