Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Girls Room Phase 1 & 2

The girls share a small room that has seemed to grow smaller as they have grown up. The ceilings are barely 7 feet so bunk beds are not an option. They have had trundle beds since Anna outgrew a crib. Aliza is getting to the point where she wants her own designated space and a space (her bed) to be available during the day to sit and be. It was her bed that was pushed under as the trundle.

Last fall Aliza and I were talking and looking around on Pinterest (my Mom *may* have been involved) and we came across a room layout that seemed perfect for them. We did some measuring and came to the conclusion that it was the solution we were looking for. Aliza was teary--she was so happy. It took some planning and creative thinking (Mom comes in here again lol), and the time has finally come for this room redo to begin.

Phase 1 was taking out the trundle beds.
Phase 2 was painting. Aliza will be quick to tell you that paining was NOT in her original plan. She wanted to just move furniture around and be done. I saw the opportunity to update and refresh the room. Choosing paint color was a process. Aliza wanted basically the exact same color that was already on the wall. I wanted a very light color to make the room feel larger and brighter. Ultimately, I chose fabric for curtains and matched a color to the fabric.

In the end there were no tears. Aliza appreciates how the lighter color makes the room feel bigger and she approves. In one afternoon and evening I did 3 coats of paint and made a trip to Lowe's for a 2nd gallon of paint. I'm glad I powered through and got it done. I did not want to wake up the next day knowing I had to go back in there for one more coat. There was not a single Before I can grab him, he had bounced so hard on the mattresses that he fell over and into the still wet wall. He got paint all over his pants and foot. It was one of those moments when I didn't even have the energy left to be mad.

Next phase will be rearranging the room layout. I can't wait!

No comments: