Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Teaching

A few months ago it became apparent that we needed a consistent teacher for our children's Sunday School class. I did not think it was going to be me!

Prior to the realization that we needed a consistent teacher, I learned about this curriculum: The Gospel Project. Over 3 years, it leads the class through the stories of the Bible. The music is catchy and full of truths. There are Bible verses to memorize and Big Idea Questions (sortof like catachism questions). The lesson is presented on DVD and the teacher's guide covers everything else (including the ways to present the story not using DVD).
I was the one to teach the first week of this curriculum. Because of a bit of misunderstanding I did it without having seen it and it went horribly. Horribly. However, I was still convinced that this was just what our kiddos needed.

I can't remember if I read this before or after that first horrible week, but I read a blog post that said, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes comfortable." It became apparent to me during that week that I--me!?--was supposed to be the one to teach the Sunday School class. I realized that I could become comfortable teaching with practice. I also realized that I was the only one of the rotating teachers who has other spiritual input during the week in terms of group Bible study. No one argued with me!

The children in Sunday School know me very well which adds to some of our challenges. But since I've been their teacher they are memorizing their Bible verses, learning songs and after our first unit we said our Bible verse and shared the song with the adults.

I'm also comfortable! lol. For as much as I dreaded my teaching Sundays before, now that I have taken on this responsibility I've never dreaded it. That's what happens when you know that you are doing exactly what you are supposed to do. There's no better place to be.


No comments: