Monday, June 18, 2018

Adventuring--Day 2

It was a whole family kind of day. This is Jeremy's family. With 6 cousins who don't see each very often there was a lot of excitement and a lot of noise!
 We decided to go to colonial Williamsburg in a 3 car caravan. As we drove into the area, I noticed that there a car show right in the shopping area. Josiah was excited. I knew we needed to go there first. It was a Ferrari show. Josiah had so much fun. And to top it off there were two Tessla's which Jeremy loved too.
 We wandered down the street into the colonial area, but didn't get very far. It was hot and we weren't interested in buying tickets to tour the buildings. There was a nice garden shop that was fun to look at. And then we ended up like this--trying to figure out where we were going next!
 I wanted to find a letterbox and since I was the only one who had something specific in mind, that's what we did. It was a bit of a walk and a bit out of the way, but all the littles made it! The letterbox was in the *prickly* bushes beside the steps.
 It wasn't not where it was supposed to be, but Jeremy and Josh got determined to find it. I had been found only a couple weeks earlier. Apparently, though, the last people to find it decided to rehide it in a completely different location in the bushes. Jeremy prevailed and found it!
 I rehid it in the proper location according to the clue.
 Josiah and Joel were catching Pokemon.
 That was a lot of walking. We picked up ice cream to have after lunch back at the condo. Then it was off to the pool for the afternoon. When we got back from the pool, Isaiah promptly fell asleep.



 This is how the Heslop brothers bond. I believe they are all watching gaming streams. Other times they will all be on YouTube sharing whatever hilarious video they are watching with each other. Josiah is right there too, on the other side of Joel.
 Josh and Sarah had just headed back to their unit when a thunderstorm started. I was ready to put the children to bed when we had the loudest crash of thunder and lightening. We were on the second floor with a 3rd floor above us and it felt like the lightening hit us. Wifi was gone and the kids were nervous. I knew bedtime was on hold. A little later, Karen and Jeremy thought they smelled something. I took the girls back to the bedroom to read and settle them down.

I came out about half an hour later and the rest of the family was on the balcony watching this:
 That strike of lightening hit the building across from us and caused a fire in the roof. Fire trucks were out in full force. I high tailed it back to the bedroom to keep reading to the girls because I knew they would be beyond scared.

But curiosity got the best of me and after a few more books, I headed back out to the balcony--and the girls came with me. It was neat to see the aerial and ladder trucks and watching the fire men on the roof spraying water into the roof through the chimney vent. Ultimately they removed the chimney and opened the roof to spray water directly into the roof. Karen said the trucks left about 1am and people to reentering the building. No one was hurt.
For all of the emotion of that night, it is interesting to me that this story is not one the children have recounted when asked about their vacation.

No comments: