Saturday, June 9, 2018

Convention Adventures

Last weekend I was invited to work at the Lancaster homeschool convention on Saturday. I drove to the Lancaster Convention Center Friday evening and even though I had been there, I was nervous about parking and finding my way. I enjoyed the drive. I got caught up on a couple sermons that I hadn't listened to yet. 

When I stopped for supper the gal in charge of the convention told me to use a certain parking garage and if it was full to use valet parking. I'm glad I had that conversation because there was some kind of event and the roundabout in downtown Lancaster just past the convention center was packed with people. I decided to use valet parking at that point. lol. 

I went to the check in counter and got valet parking set up. I went back out to give my car key to the valet and then I couldn't find my room key. I had left it on the check in counter. The counter was black and the room key holder was black so that's my excuse! I headed up my room. 6th floor. My first clue that something was odd was that my room had double doors. I walked in to a foyer...



It was a junior suite. I could clearly hear a band playing Celebrate Good Times on another floor which made me laugh. The room had 2 doors to the hall and 2 doors to adjoining rooms. It just felt eerie to me! I texted to let the gal know that there must be some mistake with my room and then my phone rang. I figured that my room was about to be straightened out and it was the front desk, but they were calling to me that the valet could not start the car. I said I would go down and realized that I gave him the wrong key. So embarrassing.

I didn't hear back from the gal I texted which I thought was strange. I did a couple things and tried to go to sleep. As I laid there I realized that I had texted another person in my contacts (who I do not know well) instead of the person I meant to.

I finally fell asleep, but I ddin't feel rested in the morning! It made for a good breakfast conversation. When I checked out the room had been billed correctly. And I headed to the vendor hall where I was much more comfortable!
It was a big display! There were 2 distance learning teachers with us. I enjoyed having there expertise to draw on. When I had a question about 6th grade math, I pulled the teacher in and when I had a question about 6th grade science I could give my own experience but also have the teacher talk about it.

I was super tired on the way home. I stopped at the Christiana and got my Chick Fil A tea and Starbucks chai. When I was ready to walk back to my car which is always a far walk in Christiana, it was pouring rain. I waited for a few minutes and then made a run for it when it the rain lessened a bit. I still got quite wet! I was happy to get home and happy to sleep in my normal room with my husband.

No comments: