Saturday, June 23, 2018

Adventuring--Day 4

Originally this day was going to be our outside exploring day, but it was rainy. I took the children to the pool first thing in the morning and was trying to figure out how to regroup and I had the idea to just call distance learning to see if, by chance, we could do our tour today. They said yes and we switched gears--fast. In 45 minutes we showered, got out the door and to BJU.
We started with our tour of the Distance Learning facility. The kids were totally enthralled. Well, I was too, honestly!.
This display houses the retired kindergarten puppets--Dottie, Hopper and Bonnie. And Paddy from 2nd grade math.  


Jeremy probably enjoyed the videoing room the most. The technology they have is pretty amazing. We saw where the teacher stands, how the teleprompter works the set up for the technician. The children asked questions about different things they have seen teachers use in the lessons--some teachers change the teleprompter themselves and others don't.
Next was the set design area. It was like a treasure hunt in there. They had all kinds of set pieces around the room and we would look around and spot something we recognized and exclaim. In the picture is a set model for 1st grade reading. All of the sets are made from styrofoam or rubber. They made some very real looking brick and wood out of styrofoam. The designer demonstrated the saw they have for cutting intricate designs out of styrofoam.
We walked down the hall, the kids turned and there was Mr. Pencil! I wish you could have heard them! You would have thought they just met a famous person. Mr. Pencil was in 1st grade handwriting and he did some pretty silly things. Anna just finished 1st grade so this was a big moment for her.
We also saw the warehouse where all of the old set are stored. Some sets have become so iconic to a certain class that they will not be used again. Pieces of other sets can be used again or repainted and used again. For the upper grades they are using canvas backgrounds for the set that have a more contemporary and mature feel.

There is a huge rack of clothes where they female teachers keep their outfits and accessories. The teachers buy outfits and then each outfit is screen tested to make sure that it coordinates with the background and isn't too distracting. There is also a makeup area.

AND THEN...the moment we had been waiting for. We got to meet Mrs. Walker!!! Mrs. Walker teaches reading in kindergarten and all of the Phonics/Handwriting/Reading in 1st grade and numerous other classes through 5th grade. This is the teacher who I credit with teaching my children to read. I always said if I met her, I would give her a hug because 1) she taught my children to read and 2) she teaches with such passion and enthusiasm all 3 of the children love her classes.
This is Mrs. Gillenwater who Aliza will have for Life Science next year. Aliza can't wait for Life Science now. Super fun lady! And Aliza knows a couple inside scoops on the filming of the class. She also teaches Biology.
When we got to the hotel and flipped through the pictures, we found their selfie!
Aliza had Mrs. Bullock for 6th grade ancient history. Mrs. Bullock teaches 8th and 10 grade history also. She was super personable and fun to meet.
Mr. Matesivic taught Aliza 6th grade math. He just finished filming the updated Geometry course too. I also met Mr. M in Lancaster at the convention.
These teaches visited with us for at least 20 minutes. The kids say we have to go back some day because there were 3 other teachers they would have liked to meet who were on vacation or business trips.

It was lunchtime when were were finished but there was one thing that I really wanted to do while we were on campus. I wanted to talk to someone about the Academy of Home Education (AHE). I had some questions and I knew I wanted to talk to some face to face. No one could give us clear directions to the office (they are located off campus) and so a man headed out to lunch offered to take us there.

Jeremy needed to take care of a work something and so Aliza and I went together. I wanted to appear to have it all together (ha), but with 4 family members in the car and hungry, I ended up have to text Jeremy a couple times about where we were (the guy who led us to the office parked very far away from the actual office!) and how there was an area where the kids could run. I won't bore you with the details, but I hit the jackpot when I landed on BJU curriculum. Assuming we continue on the path we are on through high school, my children can graduate with a diploma and have college transcripts sent to colleges through the AHE. I have a better understanding the requirements and expectations after talking to the staff. If I think about it too much I get a little overwhelmed, but mostly I'm excited and ready to go for it. 
Aliza did a lot of dreaming and it made me happy.
We *finally* ate lunch and then went back to walk around the actual campus. I wanted a BJU Christmas ornament and we went into the library for the experience. After that we were all ready to go back to the hotel. Those couple hours had been a highly anticipated experience and we were tired! At least Aliza and I were tired! Jeremy took the youngest 3 to the pool, Aliza watched cooking shows, and I read and took a nap!

If you ask the children about our trip this day is what they talk about.




No comments: