Tuesday, May 19, 2020

The Lastest Project

Mom said I was really scraping the bottom of the project barrel when I told her what I was doing this week. Once I had a plan in mind, it really came together easier than I thought it would. I also had Janell on facetime a couple times to talk through my ideas. I do not trust myself when it comes to cutting and sewing!

I have a bag of baby clothes packed away for each of the children. The plan being that I would make a blanket out of the clothes some day. The day arrived... I made templates for squares and rectangles (2 squares) and started cutting. The squares piled up a lot faster than I thought they would.
This is Aliza's blanket. It was fun to look through the clothes for myself and she did enjoy it too. Anna enjoyed cutting a few blocks.
Janell is a good one to have around when doing projects. While she was here for an afternoon, I finished cutting. Of course then we had to lay the blocks out to see how it would look. When it was all laid out we couldn't help but sew a few blocks. She helped sew two rows! After that kind of jump start, I had to keep on going!
Part of my plan was to teach the girls to sew and iron while making these blankets. They were very willing learners. That was fun, but also made me twitch and stretched the patience. I thanked Janell for bringing me a Starbucks chai the day before. A special drink helped the patience level.



I took the job of sewing the rows together. The first 3 rows went really well. The 4 row was crooked. The 5th row was even more crooked. I tore out those 2 rows and then went to pinning before sewing and they all lined up just fine. I know, I know. Next time I will start pinning from the beginning.
I never set out to make a perfectly blanket so I'm ok with the imperfect lines. Aliza loves it and can't wait for me to get a back on it so that she can use it. And Anna is very anxious for me to start her blanket.


No comments: