Monday, November 10, 2008

Good Times, Bad Habits, & Anything Else that Come to Mind

Jeremy and I had a good time together last evening. We left the children with my parents....for the night....and spent some time together. This was the first time Josiah spent the night away from home. We had a romantic shopping trip buying socks that we were both in desperate need of and had dinner. There was a great deal of discussion as to whether we would go home or get a hotel room. We got a hotel room so that we would actually talk. If we would have come home we would have each found 10 separate things to do and then it would have been midnight and we wouldn't have spent any time together! I don't know about anyone else, but we have to be really intentional about making quality time for each other.

I've been guilty of letting Aliza develop a bad habit--eating lunch in the living room while watching a DVD. The problem is that she now wants to eat all of her meals in the living room. So I'm in strict consistency mode. "You have to finish your lunch BEFORE you watch your DVD." Today she still asked for "something else" to take in the living room. Did that mean that she didn't eat enough? Or that she is in the habit of eating while watching TV?

I wish I had answers to these parenting issues. Why does Aliza think that it's ok get in Josiah's face and scream? Why does she hit, push, or throw things to make him cry? Where did she get the exclamation, "oh god!" and how do I explain the difference between praying to God and taking god's name in vain? When will Josiah's tooth come through?

Josiah is just miserable. His nose is runny. He's having poopy diapers all the time. His gum is SO swollen. I'm giving him Tylenol, but it must only take the edge off. When I hold him, he wants to get on the floor. When I put him down, he wants back up. So insanely frustrating and tiring! It's GOT to get better when that tooth comes through!

On an entirely different note, we got some very cool .pdf files from our architect. (Now we can meet with the solar panel guy.) We've got some changes in mind and the guy who did the design is throwing in his two cents. I'm thinking you all are going to have to come see it for yourself when it's done! =) I'm not sure how I'm going to live through the horrific mess it's going to create, but the end product is something to look forward to. I had a moment of reality check when I realized that the first thing to go is the deck leaving our back door (that we use ALL the time) and the sliding door useless. That leaves me with our front door and means I walk all the way around the house to get to the car. Think....carrying children, groceries, all of the things Aliza takes with her in the car..... I'm thinking the car will get parked in a different spot!

Ok, that's all! I won't let anything else come to mind! Good night!

1 comment:

Me said...

i love your blog, carla, i identify with basically everything you say!!! :)
...about teething. have heard of/tried Hyland's Teething Tablets. They are homeopathic and not a magic cure, but they have helped my kids considerably and i LOVE them. hope josiah is feeling better soon.