Saturday, October 31, 2009

A New Hallelujah!

I am totally out of the music loop. I listen primarily to Sunday School songs and nursery rhymes. When the children go to bed and I could listen to music I love the sound of quiet and don't turn music on. But I love to sing and there are a few artists that I know and keep up with. So when I heard that Michael W. Smith was coming to town on his A New Hallelujah! tour, I really wanted to go.

Michael W. Smith--he's been around forever! When I was in 8th grade I purchased my first music cassette. It was a stretch for my parents. Hosanna! Music was ok with them, but contemporary Christian wasn't what they were particularly comfortable with. I bought Michael W. Smith's Change Your World album and DC Talk's Free at Last album. They toured together that year and I went to their concert in Portland, OR. Jeremy and I can still sing all the songs from both of those albums.

I didn't think I'd get to go to this concert because I didn't have a babysitter and I wasn't so sure we should shell out the money given how this month has gone. I got a call from a friend that had 200 tickets that he needed to give away. Would I want one? Well, yes, I told him. I'll take two and I'll find a babysitter! Linda was willing to babysit for us. So we got to go and we had a great time!

I wonder if Michael W. Smith ever regrets writing Friends? He still sings it.

His son played keyboard in his band and Jeremy and I figure he is about old enough to be our dad. But he said he is working on album number 22 so maybe I'll get to see him again some day!

No comments: