I've been working on embellishing a t-shirt with fabric flowers with the help of Elizabeth Kartchner's online class called Piece by Piece. I'm not sure what possessed me to take this class. I thought about it for quite a while. I think I wanted to try something new and have something to think about during the day and look forward to doing in the evening. After I found a year old VISA gift card with enough money for the class that sealed the deal.
I didn't buy her kit of flowers which means that I hand cut my own flowers using the pattern that Lizzy sent. That was pretty tedious, but I'm glad I did it that way. Now I will be more likely to make another one on my one.
This is my (maternity) shirt with the cut flowers and butterflies. Ready to be pinned.
The first pinned version. I did not like it at all. Jeremy's comment was "The shirt fits well." As it turned out my pattern for the flowers was much larger than the flowers in the kit and, for me, using the whole design made the embellishment too heavy.
So...Chrissy was over one evening and we started looking at it together. I took off those triangle "leaves" that I disliked the most and we played with adding some additional layers to some flowers to intersperse more white in the gray. And now I like it.
Tonight I'm going to start sewing on the flowers. I have really enjoyed trying something new. It has also been fun to share ideas and take the class with Chrissy. (I'm at her house this evening to sew! Matt is getting us sundaes from Sonic soon!)