Friday, January 30, 2015

1st Grade Reading

First grade reading is, by far, the most intimidating subject for me to teach. It is fast paced. It is demanding. There are tears. And I hold my breath until it all comes together and I have an emerging reader.

This is my second time through first grade reading and I knew the first half of the year was painful. Now I'm remembering that the second half of the year starts (slowly) getting easier. We still have quite a ways to go, but I can see it starting to click in his mind and last night was a turning point.

Josiah decided he wanted to do his reading assignment alone. He sat in the kitchen, instructed me not to look at the book, read aloud and spelled every word that he needed help with. (Ok, so there were a lot of words he needed help with.) He didn't get frustrated and in the end he was so proud because he read by himself.

He was so empowered that he wanted to read at bedtime. He stayed awake until I got home from Bible Study and met me with tears in his eyes because he was sure it was too late to read. Far be it from me to stop a first grader from reading just because it is late! He had his heart set on reading a Lego City book. Thankfully I located it quickly and we sat on the couch and he read. He finished the book at 10pm.

That first book that they initiate reading on their own--it seems like such a milestone. And I know that he's going to be ok. He will read. I breathe a little sigh of relief--my biggest elementary education hurdle will be cleared.

No comments: