Monday, September 7, 2015

Through the Bible in 13 Months

Around this time last year, I finished reading Radical, by David Platt. I would highly recommend this book except that it will make you think, rethink and think some more and will potentially ruin your North American worldview.
I decided to take on one of the action points suggested at the end of the book which is to read through the entire Bible. I looked at the list of suggested resources and decided on the reading plan called "Read Through the Bible Plan for Shirkers and Slackers." I've tried to read through my Bible before (I don't know how many times I started) but I always got stuck somewhere around the middle of Exodus if I started in the Old Testament and maybe I would make it through Luke if I started in the New Testament. What I loved about the Shirkers and Slackers plan was that each day the reading was from a different section of the Bible. It was divided by History, Law, Major Prophets, Minor Prophets, Psalms/Proverbs, Gospel and Letters to the Churches. So when reading law I knew it was only 3 chapters and the next night I would move on to something else. I didn't count if it was broken down into exactly 365 readings and some days of the week had more readings than others so by the end I had to just plow through--but I was so close I wasn't going to quit! I started 8/1/2014 and finished 9/3/2015.
As an aside, I'd like to show you my Bible. When I was in 8th grade the New Student Bible was produced. There were cool introductions to each book and commentary boxes throughout. I thought it was the greatest thing ever and my parents gave me this Bible for Christmas. I've used it almost exclusively ever since. Eventually it got pretty worn so I had to keep it in a cloth/leather case. Now I have no desire for a new Bible, but the back binding has completely separated and the front is getting very thin! I need to research if it is possible to get new binding for a book...but then I would have to ship my Bible somewhere and hope it returns safely to me!! lol.
Now that I finished this current project of reading through the Bible I decided to pick and Radical and read it again. I got halfway through the first chapter and decided that was enough for one night--I had enough to think through again.

No comments: