Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Festivities

A little sampling of our Thanksgiving celebrations.

Our contribution to the dinners. Candy turkey favors. Aliza had fun helping me made them.

Football and naps.

Lincoln Logs.

And a trip to Jeremy's family.

Surrounding it all is the fact that my Grandad is still in the hospital. I kept waiting for some definitive answer (and solution) before I blogged, but we are still waiting for that. He has a bacterial infection in his blood. That bacteria has to be coming from somewhere in his body. The type of bacteria seems to be pointing to his intestines. So far he has had a chest x-ray, CAT scan and MRI that have not provided answers. It looks like maybe he will have a colonoscopy next. He has 3 more days of IV antibiotics. My Gramma sits with him 10-12 hours a day, but she seems to be holding up pretty well.

I'm going to tell one story about my Gramma. She'll probably kick me when she reads it, but I want to remember. Gramma was waiting for my Dad to come in from the parking lot at the hospital when she noticed that a woman was sitting and really crying hard. Gramma went over to her and said "I'm so sorry. You are really hurting." The woman told Gramma that she just found out her husband had cancer. Gramma asked some questions and found out that this woman has no support system. Gramma offered to pray with her and the woman accepted. When Dad came in he also talked to her and prayed with her. Gramma could have been so absorbed in her own worries over not knowing what is happening with her own husband of almost 58 years that she didn't even notice someone else's tears. But she wasn't. She was able to see other people and not be afraid to reach out to someone who is obviously hurting. Thank you, Gramma, for that reminder.

No comments: