Friday, August 26, 2011

24 Hours

Today was B.U.S.Y. I was headed to the library and my sister called and said, Do you know your zip code is under a recommended evacuation? I said "By when?" She said, "10am." Nice. It was after 10. I saw no reason to change our plans. As it turned out the evacuation included our zip code but our house was not in the flood zone. I picked up Kelsey and we headed to the library to stock up on new books for the weekend. I bought Aliza and Josiah flashlights so we will read.

After the library we went to my brother's house to clean up their yard. He's been working in his wife's home area this last week so they are just staying put until the hurricane passes. Kelsey was a huge help. She took care of the children and I took care of yard stuff. We picked up McDonald's, went to the bank, took Kelsey home and got back to our house at 1:30. Rest time was late. I rested, hopped up and started cleaning up our yard. Let me tell you it is humid. I was dripping sweat.

When I got home there was a reverse 911 call from our County Executive on my answering machine. He was calling to inform us we were in the evacuation zone and to assure us that the county was taking all emergency preparations. Later in the afternoon I had a message from our electric company assuring us that they were getting personnel in place to restore power as quickly as possible but to expect widespread extended outages. Those calls left me with a hyper feeling.

With any luck we will have some sand left. Aliza and Josiah helped me carry bricks while Anna played in the exosaucer on the deck. It is lovely to have everything cleaned up.

Our lawnmower had a tire blowout this week. It is sitting on a jack in the middle of our yard. Dad is bringing a tire tomorrow so it should get to the garage before the storm. Josiah worked so hard to fix it this evening!

And while we were working, Jeremy won this plaque!

I feel wound up tonight. It may take me a little while to fall asleep. Tomorrow is another day. I think I'll be able to update one more time before we lose electricity.



No comments: