Saturday, August 6, 2011

My New Job Arrived

I thought I was going to take the boxes and hide away while I looked over the material, but Jeremy and I decided that we wanted to look at everything together. I could hardly wait until the children fell asleep to tear open the boxes!

As we quickly flipped through each book I remembered how happy I am that Jeremy and I are in this together. I remembered that when the idea of homeschooling was first kicked around it was Jeremy that got excited about it first. Jeremy has a natural gift for teaching so I wasn't really surprised when he said, "I wish I could stay home and teach." There have been moments since that I have felt so thankful to be on this journey with a husband who is so supportive and wants to be involved.

It took about 5 minutes for that pile of books to go from exciting to overwhelming! The left pile is all student materials. The 3 cases on the right pile are the instruction DVDs and the spiral bound books are teacher's editions. I have some studying and preparation to do. I'm pretty sure that once I figure out how the curriculum flows, I will find it to be well organized and easy to follow.

We chose to use Bob Jones University Distance Learning on DVD curriculum. It is not the cheapest homeschool curriculum on the market. I'm counting on it living up to its reputation. I'm also banking on Aliza responding well to instruction on DVD.

I woke up at 5:30 the next morning thinking about the pile of teacher's editions sitting on my desk. I didn't fall back asleep. My mind was busy. Since then I have a sort of game plan to get myself situated. I think fitting school into our life is going to be an ongoing experiment.

This week I sent my letter of intent to home school to our Board of Education. That made this whole thing seem very official and final.

1 comment:

Christy said...

ha ha! this sounds just like me right now. I get overwhelmed every year just teaching one subject! =) You'll do great!